July 25, 2011

Beetroot, Pumpkin & Lychees

During one of my many flights to Australia, a nice middle aged woman told me during conversation "to take pictures of all the strange things throughout your travels. You won't notice it during your time in Australia, but it's very easy to forget all those small, everyday things that you come to love."
As you know from my last blog, Em and I made it out alive from WA and are now soaking up the sun in Port Douglas, Queensland. With the remaining weeks hanging over my head, I've started to think of all the funny things in Australia that I've come to adapt to...and even think as normal. I'm actually worried - am I going to go through culture shock when I get back to Ohio?? I thought it was supposed to be in reverse!
I started to take more pictures. No, not like the million and one photos I have with Emily....but of cafe menus, street signs or odd things that catch my eye. A "sushi and waffle" place or an ice cream shop half turned into an Internet cafe....what strange combinations. On the other hand, how genius! Just think about it, if I have to run to an Internet cafe to print my resume, do you really think I'm going to pass up that mouthwatering milkshake that's staring me square in the face, especially when it's so easy to eat?? I love the fact that Australians are very much European when it comes to presentation. Colorful menus and chalkboard signs can be seen outside almost every cafe. Wide open displays of sandwiches and morning pastries. Even in cold Melbourne, outdoor seating would always be occupied - people enjoy being out in the crisp air and seem perfectly content reading the specials penciled on the window or scrawled on a large board by the door. The signs are both eye catching and HEALTHY. The biggest seller, which I just recently realized was a bit out of ordinary from home, is juice. Different concoctions of apple, watermelon, orange, pineapple and mango advertised as an "immune booster" or "liquid breaky!"....or ones that I'm not a big fan of - containing carrots, beetroot, ginger and honey to help those horrible hangovers or gain some antioxidants. The biggest difference from these cafes than the ones back home is the fact that they are simply juice. You watch the employee put the steroid size carrot through the juicer. You could even choose which apple out of the dozen if you're really that picky. No fake supplements or essential amino acids thrown in there to false advertise and bring up the price. It's just pure goodness and tastes delicious :)
I've also adapted to funny things like pumpkin used as a savory ingredient verses a sweet one. For the last time - no, I would not like pumpkin on my pizza! I don't even want to get started with beetroot. In my previous knowledge, I thought this was a favored vegetable of the older generations and maybe that odd family member. I stand corrected. Salads, sandwiches, dips, juice, pasta....you name it - it's there. Aussies could just eat this up. As for me, I'll be happy to make it back to my land of pumpkin pie and green colored salads.
I've tried to taste as much of the different foods 'down unda' as I can during my time spent in this country. Lychees are a very popular tropical fruit, eaten whole or found in sweets and martinis. It looks like a clear, egg shaped jellyfish to me....but if you get past the gooey texture, it has a nice sweetness to it. Add it to my martini, but that's about it for me. Kangaroo is an obvious popularity. My first meal of kangaroo wasn't until Perth, eight months into my trip! My main reason being how expensive it is. However, Little Creatures is known all over Perth for their kangaroo skewers...and with my employee discount, I couldn't pass it up! It has a slightly gamey flavor and unique tenderness to it that's unlike any meat I've ever had. Kangaroo also has the least amount of fat and highest amount of iron in comparison to any meat source...so it's definitely high on my list!
Meat pies. Sausage rolls. A full English breaky. Chicken/avo/capsicum toasties (aka avocado and peppers). Steak sandwiches. Kangaroo skewers. Wedges with sweet chili sauce. Olives and feta. Fresh Juice. I feel like I'm a fat girl trapped in a skinny body. I'm starting to make a list of my favorite meals that I know won't be the same when I get back home....hahah unfortunately, my list looks like it's made up of the unhealthy bar food and pastries. I haven't been good at keeping up a food blog, because honestly - I never eat out! The last time I've enjoyed "fine dining" was at a wood fire pizza place, celebrating our second night in Perth. On the other hand, if the life of a backpacker has taught me anything, it's how to eat on a budget. The key is friends....between four people and a bottle of wine, you can make a tasty spaghetti bolognese or vegetable curry for less than five dollars. Perfection.
I think that's enough rambling on food...I'm getting hungry and the last of my groceries are a tin of baked beans and half a loaf of bread to share with Emily. On a exciting note, Christa Rossell is on a plane to Australia at this very moment!!! It's been almost a year since we've seen one of our best friends and I couldn't be more happy to see her. The three of us have rented a camper van to take us down the east coast, stopping at all the hot spots, and ending in Sydney. We're saying goodbye to normal living, as we'll pretty much be living out of this van for three weeks!!! On August 17th, Christa heads back to the States as Em and I fly to Melbourne to say our final goodbyes to Australia. I'll try to write during our last adventure - but realistically, I'll be living out of a van....so don't be surprised if my next big blog isn't for a few weeks :)
~ Cheers ~

No comments:

Post a Comment